03 June 2010

More choices of weird food in Thailand !

I had a chance to travel to the northeastern of Thailand. I was lucky to be there at the right time, because there is a big variety of foods in summer. So, I did not hesitate to try all of the rather unusual kinds of foods.

Grilled Cicada Eggs











Cicada eggs can be found in summer at local markets, especially in the northeast of Thailand.
These eggs are being wrapped in banana leaves and then grilled for a few minutes on a charcoal fire. When they are done, they will change their color to a deep red. Then you can either eat it with sticky rice or mashed. Don't forget to put a little bit salt on it. The taste is somewhat oily, the texture is crunchy and they pop in your mouth  nicely. Good actually!


Tadpole Soup




This kind of food comes with the rainy season. Before cooking, tadpoles have to be cleaned with water and taken the guts out from their body. You might wonder how local people take the guts out. They just press the tadpole's body until the guts come out through their anus. Then they are being cleaned again. The tadpoles, not the local people.
Tadpole soup is eaten with steamed or sticky rice. It tastes a bit spicy. Actually, Local people eats it with sticky rice. Sticky rice is the main staple food in the northeast of Thailand.

  
Fried Stink Bugs




Stink bugs are both served as local snack and main dish. But this bug can only be found during the summer season. So, you have to come to the right time. Otherwise, you will probably miss it.
The way to cook these bugs is easy. First, you have to rinse them. Then fry them on a pan and put some salt on them. Keep frying until they turn brown or yellow, which means the Stink bugs are now ready to be served. I had it for a snack, sure it smells stinky, but the taste is great.



Grilled Buffalo Skin


I want to say Wow! even though I know grilled buffalo skin well and had it many times before. It's a long-straight dark thick piece. After it is grilled, it looks different from what you see in the above picture. As you might already guess, it is really hard to chew. People still like to eat it, though, no matter how hard to chew, and they eat it with sticky rice.

Share

11 comments:

  1. Yes, It's amazing. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been searching for a recipe for tadpoles for a few years. Can you be more specific? Can any kind of tadpole be eaten? I know a mountain lake where there are thousands! One scoop with a bucket will make 2 big meals! I will show you pictures - email me at editor@ainews.com and I will show you! - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost everything in your blog is related to "food" stuff, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends. I have variety of story that I want to tell. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Includе anything you think is the Travelеx gгowth on
    toρ of ωhatever plan you already havе a ѕcanner, іf
    business not sο" socially responsible" coulԁ cοntгibutе substantially to it's competitiveness. Local Google Advertising is what we'rе advising
    our business сliеnts tο savе mοney.
    Αpart frοm thеіг еxіsting smагtphonе or Internet-сonneсted ԁevіce.
    Hoωеveг, Andrοid's share in Europe, Virgin Media in Britain and conducted more than 15, 000 units in one weekend.

    Here is my blog :: san diego internet marketing company

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about This topic. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.
    คอลลาเจน

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog, thank you for sharing your insights. I would like to recommend Bangkok Airport Transfer Van

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time I came to this blog and I found some relevant stuff here. Basically I keen to know new parameters of writing every-time and sometime it become really very hard to find such kind of platform.belastingconsulent amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. top rice brands

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best Lake Resorts in Thailand With Separate Bungalow
    Lake Resort Korat, the pearl of Isaan, is a cozy nature resort, planted with colorful, exotic plants, a rustic Euro-Thai restaurant with bar and five bungalows, two of which are right next to the pool and one on the jacuzzi.

    ReplyDelete